X on Xterminals but not on console

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:04:34 UTC 2011

It is not so clear ..  My problem is:

My FreeBSD is a VMware Virtual machine, for 2 years.
When connecting to that machine via vSphere client, I get a KDM
login window and via Ctrl-Alt-F1  can switch to a console prompt
Well, that *was* possible ..

Since the last reboot, Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F2, .. F8) doesn't do anything
anymore...
Can't understand why, it always worked in the past?

I have an Tektronix X-terminal, the software running on it allows
me to enter my freesbd-machine hostname, then gives me a KDM login window.

If my 'console' login (via VMware's vSphere) could be made NOT be a
KDM graphical login, and my Xterminal still giving me a KDM login, this
would be a workarround (no need to do Ctrl-Alt-F1 on Xterminal),
[ and even a better solution, since I do never need graphical environment
when connecting to the console ]

How can I make the login different for console and other logins?
OR: HOW can I solve the Ctrl-Alt-F1 problem?

The setup in my Freebsd is:
I have in /etc/rc.conf
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

I have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

/etc/ttys has:
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure
(see below for other parts)
at boot this starts a /usr/local/bin/kdm script
the hald and dbus deamons are runnng ($ ps -jaxw | grep hald ..)

/usr/local/bin/kdm is a shell script first running
 /usr/local/bin/genkdmconf with config files from
/usr/local/share/config/kdm
 directory
but is is unclear if (and how) I can make a difference there between the
console and an X-terminal somewhere

--------------
# more /etc/ttys
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/etc.amd64/ttys,v 1.18.2.1.6.1 2010/12/21 17:09:25
kensmith Exp $
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
#ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyu2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyu3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
# Dumb console
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
# Pseudo terminals
ttyp0   none                    network
ttyp1   none                    network
ttySv   none                    network