Parallel fscks on large filesystems ... wondering about maxdsiz setting...

Jason Usher jusher71 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 18:25:12 UTC 2011

Old 6.4-RELEASE system.

Two filesystems exist, each of which is on its own raid controller.

(Background fsck is not workable for various reasons that are tl;dr.)

So, theoretically, doing both fscks at the same time is workable, since each of them are on their own controller, and no disk/controller resources are shared.

HOWEVER, due to the large size and dense inode usage, we are forced to set:

kern.maxdsiz="4096000000"

And my question is:

If I run two fscks at the same time, do I need to up this to 8192000000, or is this a per-process limit and I can run several processes that big, while leaving the value at 4096000000 ?

(16 GB of ram, so either way we're well below)

Thanks!