maildrop logging overwriting instead of appending

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sat Oct 1 01:48:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:31:36 -0500
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:16:17 -0600 (MDT)
> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > >
> > > Just one problem: on each invocation of maildrop, the logfile is
> > > being overwritten, rather than appended to.
> > >
> > > I have the following in my .mailfilter file (this is outside of
> > > any specific filtering rule):
> > >
> > > logfile "Mail/maildrop.log"
> >
> > Maybe use an absolute path like "~/Mail/maildrop.log" or
> > "$HOME/Mail/maildrop.log"?
>
> Well, I'll try that.  The Mail/maildrop.log *is* being written to, but
> I've only seen at most a single delivery noted in it each time I've
> looked.  Kinda weird.

Let me correct that: I'm seeing the deliveries for a single instance of
maildrop only each time, not necessarily just a single delivery.

> Let me see if an absolute path will somehow make a difference...

Well, that didn't have any effect.  Just tried using:

logfile "${HOME}/Mail/maildrop.log"

Same behavior.  This is really odd.   Maybe I'll try rebuilding/
reinstalling maildrop.  May be some quirk related to having built it
under 9.0-BETA2 and then running it now under 9.0-BETA3?  Who
knows?  :-)

Anyway, like I just mentioned in #bsdports a few minutes ago, maildrop
is already working so well, I hardly even need any logging.  But I'd
still like to clear up this mystery.  I hate things like this!  :-)

As an aside to anyone still hesitant to convert from procmail to
maildrop:

Fear not!  It's a remarkably easy transition, and the .mailfilter
syntax is *so* much less arcane than procmail's.  A real breath of
fresh air, if I do say so.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net