OT: looking for a datacenter in France and Italy that offers FreeBSD

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Wed Nov 30 21:12:14 UTC 2011

On 11/30/11 2:42 PM, claudiu vasadi wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know this is a bit offtopic but I'm looking for a datacenter in France
> and Italy that can provide FreeBSD and I would appreciate some feedback
> and/or personal experience with any.
> We are looking to expand our business into these 2 countries so we need to
> rent some servers.
>
> Any feedback is welcome.

Hi,

I can recommend online.net, when it comes to dedicated servers in france.

They offer a range of dell servers, most of which offer remote console
access (DRAC).

You will face 2 issues:

1/ Be warned that for some of them, freebsd will not run out of the box.

This is the case for the r210 range, there are driver compatibility
issues with dell's h200 HBA.

We worked on the issue here on the list last year (or was it early this
year ?) so the mps driver from 9.x got ported back to 8.2-RELEASE.

With mps, you can destroy dell's hardware RAID and be presented with the
physical disks as /dev/da0 and /dev/da1

Sadly the mps driver is not included in 8.2's ISOs, however it is
included in 8.2-RELEASE when you update your sources and rebuild the
world and kernel.

In my case, I used Martin Matuska's MFSBSD image to load freebsd to RAM,
then install a custom image with the mps driver included.

2/ You need a legal presence in france (either be a physical person, or
a company) with a bank account, to rent their servers.

If that should be off-putting, you can always try OVH, but I've always
found their service to be inferior to Online's.