Base compiler and amdfam10 - anybody/anything? (fwd)

Vladimir Kushnir vkushnir at bigmir.net
Mon Nov 21 07:23:08 UTC 2011

Sorry for crossposting but since no one on hackers@ seems to be
interested...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:30:35 +0200 (EET)
From: Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir at bigmir.net>
To: hackers at freebsd.org
Subject: Base compiler and amdfam10 - anybody/anything?

Hi,
Are there any attempts to bring to -CURRENT newer AMD chips support?
Personally, I've just tried to apply the patches from openSUSE's gcc-4.2.1
SRPM. With slight adaptation they've applied and gave rather significant boost
in resulting code speed. At least, testfcpy by Alexander Konovalenko
(http://daemon.safety.sci.kth.se/~kono/testfcpu) gave me ~20% (!) speedup with
-march=amdfam10 compared to our -march=athlon64-sse3 on Phenom II 970.
Unfortunately, the patched compiler with -march=amdfam10 fails in buildworld
("internal compiler error"'s while compiling clang). The buildworld was
successful with patched compiler and -march=athlon64-sse3 but since this is my
main working system... Well, I had to come back to our unpatched compiler :-(
If anyone is interested, the patches were taken from
gcc42-4.2.1_20070724-17.src.rpm (actually, I applied all the patches marked as
AMD stuff), the resulting patches towards our src/contrib/gcc and
share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk are attached (or I can send them by email), and I am quite
ready to test what comes out of it.

WBR,
Vladimir