FreeBSD 9.0 RC-2

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 22:51:45 UTC 2011

On 18/11/2011 22:24, ajtiM wrote:
> I had a problem with memory on y computer with 8.2 and there are some mess. I
> like to install "fresh" FreeBSD 9.0. Is it safe to install RC-2 or is better
> to wait to the final release, please?

9.0-RC2 is (probably) going to be very similar indeed to the eventual
9.0-RELEASE.  There will be some bug fixes yet to go in, but it is
unlikely these will be show-stoppers.  RC2 is not "unsafe" and there's
no reason not to install it for learning or evaluation or development
purposes.  I wouldn't advise using it for anything your livelihood
depends on though.  Plan on upgrading to -RELEASE as soon as possible if
you do play with -RC2.

However, you're unlikely to have a pleasant experience if you've got
dodgy RAM in your machine.  All bets are off if the computer cannot rely
on getting the correct data back from RAM.  I wouldn't even try booting
up a live CD unless the memory problems have been fixed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3