8.2-RELEASE-p4

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 20:50:28 UTC 2011

On 18/11/2011 20:12, Tom Carpenter wrote:
> Is it not possible/not intended for kernels to be updated via
> freebsd-update? If kernels can be updated via freebsd-update
> will there be a release of an fix/update that will allow systems
> to be patched/updated to -p4 or later?

freebsd-update will certainly update your kernel for you, so long as you
are using a standard GENERIC kernel from the install media or from a
previous freebsd-update iteration.

If you compile your own kernel, then freebsd-update will patch the
kernel sources, but leave you to rebuild and reinstall your customized
kernel.

I don't know about the -p4 update.  By rights it should have involved
updating the kernel by one or other of the two methods shown.  So far
however, we've seen two reports questioning that[*] and none saying that
the -p4 update did in fact update the kernel.  Which is suspicious, but
hardly conclusive.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Stranger things have happened than admins compiling their own
GENERIC kernels and then mistakenly thinking they were actually using
the standard one from the install media[+].  Seeing a positive "it
updated for me" would settle the question definitively.

[+] Not that I believe for one minute that anyone in this thread is
sufferring from that sort of memory lapse.

                                                  Flat 3