Shouldn't GNU tar be ignoring /proc with --one-file-system?

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Fri Nov 18 16:59:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, November 18, 2011 10:34 am, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I use Amanda to make nightly backups of a bunch of servers using GNU tar.
> However, gtar doesn't seem to respect its --one-file-system flag with
> /proc. Amanda runs a variation of this command:
>
>     # /usr/local/bin/gtar --create --file - --directory /
> --one-file-system --sparse --ignore-failed-read --totals . > /dev/null
>     /usr/local/bin/gtar: ./proc: file changed as we read it
>
> Before I file a bug report, can anyone think of a legitimate reason why
> gtar would be touching /proc at all?

Just a guess, really but:

/proc is a file on /.  /proc/* are files on /proc.  The former is still on
the root filesystem (if only as a directory stub to be used as a
mountpoint), so reading it isn't leaving that filesystem.  Reading
anything *in* it would be.

Just a thought.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.