[OT] but concerns all of us

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:45:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:
> My apologies to all for this, specially to those who already know about this
> and those who think too little of it.
>
> I am really worried about this:
>
> http://americancensorship.org/
>
> If these rootless people get control of what goes through the root servers, we
> will loose the last free medium of expression and info exchange that is not
> owned by a corporation or anybody.
>
> I don't know if I should be worried or not, but if my worries are founded and
> this comes to pass, as far as I can see, it will be the end of this great tool
> as we know it today.
>
> There is a petition going on here:
>
> http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/
>
> There are a lot of Americans on this list that have a lot more power than the
> rest of us to change this. A LOT of people from all over the world is signing
> this petition.
>
> I hope at least some don't judge me to be over dramatic here but this
> situation sounds very much so.
>
> I hope that most of you (if not all) replicates this and that I don't get
> scalded for this post.
>
> I can only hope ....

I too would like to appologize to all the ranters for going in a more
technical direction with this discussion.  But, it is my understanding
that if passed this legislation would force ISPs to break DNSSEC, by
tampering with signed DNS resolution, right?

With all due respect to any view on the issue, isn't this a negative
thing?  Perhaps throwing the baby out with the bathwater?  Plus, if
congress thinks that there is only one set of DNS servers, they're
sadly uninformed.  If they want to break it, then people will just
change over to a different set of servers to access The Pirate Bay, or
scat porn, or stormfront.com, or the Libertarian Party website, or
anything else the government wants to arbitrarily censor then change
back to the broken one to get their government approved scrubbed
squeaky clean intertube.