ports make search not working in jails

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Wed Nov 16 02:45:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Jason Helfman <jhelfman at e-e.com> wrote:

[...]

> Today I noticed something interesting...

[...]

OK, so it happened to me again on a new server and here is the cause:

When you initialize ezjail if you forget the -p to include ports you
can actually fix this by re-initializing with ezjail-admin update -p
-i  and perhaps -P afterwards.

The problem arises if you had already created a jail _before_ you
realized you forgot the -p switch. When you try to fetchindex it will
tell you the error I originally posted. All you have to do on those
jails that you created before fixing it with -p is just create the
directory /var/ports inside each one of those jails.

>From then on, the fetchindex will work and everything else will work
as well. I'm guessing this would fix itself if you install a first
port without fetching the index, which is probably what happened to me
before when it seemed to start working.

For the thread history i must conclude my last post on this was wrong
and the actual way to fix it is by creating the directory in the
problematic jails.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass