Default Samba port?

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 10:39:05 UTC 2011

________________________________

From: Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com>
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: Default Samba port?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Peter Harrison
<four.harrisons at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone advise me the appropriate Samba port to install - the handbook refers to samba34, but I see samba35 and samba36 in in ports. This is for a home server, so I'm not necessarily looking for production standard, but something that "just works" on RELEASE-8.2 amd64.

samba36 is the current stable version.  The other two are kept for
legacy compatibility.  35 and 34 are the last version in those
branches.  Don't worry about them.  The handbook has not been updated
for two major revisions of samba.

This is a comment for the others on the list, not directly at you:
maybe ports like this should have a directory samba that always points
to the most recent stable version.  Then the handbook would not need
to be updated to reflect version changes like this.  It would only
need to be updated if the actual instructions change or become
outdated?