What are the technical differences between Linux and BSD?

Allen Unix.Hacker at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 08:23:36 UTC 2011

On 10/31/2011 3:50 PM, Zantgo wrote:
> I mean, like BSD is based on the original UNIX, and Linux on System
> V,

Um, no.... BSD was a version of Unix that was done at Berkeley. They
were one of the first Universities to REALLY get work done with Unix
adding things that we all now take for granted (Vi, TCP/IP, more) and
basically came out with this "BSD" which was in very high demand and
VERY popular. It, in my mind, was better than the AT&T Unix.

Linux uses System V style Init. It's BASED on SunOS. Linus Torvalds said
that when he started working on Linux, his reason for doing so, was that
he wanted to run on HIS computer, the same thing he had been using at
the University, which, was SunOS. He said his early inspiration for
Linux was SunOS.

Just because it uses System V init doesn't mean it's actually based on it...

>Linux should include new technologies, or why not?, Is that Linux
> includes more new hardware, but I mean as is "within "management
> technologies, security, etc. ..
>
> PD: I know that BSD is more secure, stable and fast, although in
> relation to performance, ports are not very fast.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with the other replies on here and say
you should REALLY get some History books on Unix / Linux / BSD, and read
them. I'd recommend "Just for Fun", "A Quarter Century of Unix" and also
the DVD "25 Years of Berkeley Unix", and a few others mentioned already.