X server and xinit works excellent....almost.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 8 20:51:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:33:55 -0700 (MST), Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Warren Block wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Polytropon wrote:
> >
> >> And according to the handbook, this does _not_ remove the
> >> need for a X configuration file (usually /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
> >> including ``Option "DontZap" "off"'' in the "ServerFlags"
> >> section.
> >
> > For at least the most recent Xorg, it's not needed.  Can't recall whether it
> > is for the one before that.
>
> Nope, just tested and I'm wrong.  DontZap Off is needed with X.Org X
> Server 1.7.7.  Sorry about that.
>
> I recommend adding the option to ServerLayout and doing away with the
> extra complication of a ServerFlags section.

Good suggestion, the Handbook should be changed
according to that if it really works (and is, in
my opinion, easier).

My statement regarding the xorg.conf _and_ XML
fun wasn't a personal experience and testing
(xorg-server-1.7.7_2,1 here), but the Handbook
said so:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html

It's mentioned directly beneath the XML fun in
6.4.2.

There's also a ServerLayout _or_ ServerFlags
statement for the ``Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"''
setting, right before the XML fun for setting a
localized keyboard begins... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany