zfs file names (inodes) without files (ENOENT)

Martin von Gagern Martin.vGagern at gmx.net
Tue Nov 8 07:12:28 UTC 2011

On 07.11.2011 22:01, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Martin von Gagern
> <Martin.vGagern at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Makes me wonder whether I'd be better off with either some OpenSolaris
>> descendant (hoping that the problem only lies in the FreeBSD port of
>> ZFS) or with Linux (and either btrfs or some more mature fs).
>
> Both of those solutions are guaranteed to contain a different set of
> bugs. ;)

No doubt about that, but I have the hope that bugs I don't encounter
within the first 48 hours of system usage might be less likely to cause
severe trouble in the long run, too.

> I've looked at both FreeBSD and OpenIndiana, and could give
> you some thoughts on what I see is their respective strong and weak
> points, if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, but see below.

> It *would* be interesting to see what OpenIndiana made of that
> filesystem.  You could boot a LiveCD and then import the pool and see
> if you had the same issue.  If nothing else that might let you delete
> the problematic file entry.

Thought the same, and gave it a try. zpool claims there is no pool of
that name. "zpool -f" doesn't help. Looking at the device nodes, it
appears as though OI would only recognize 3 of my 4 HDDs, which seems
really strange, given the fact that they're all wired the same way. So I
didn't even get to looking at the dir in question. That, combined with
the fact that OI boot process provides too little information for my
taste, and the additional fact that Backspace doesn't seem to work out
of the box, has let me develop a dislike for the system upon initial
use. I don't fancy having to configure such basic things.

So I'm heading towards Linux now, as no solution to the FreeBSD ZFS
problems seems to be forthcoming. Will probably be running some tandem
of btrfs and Ext4 for now, until btrfs becomes more mature or space
requirements force me to drop one of those file systems.

Thanks for your input, David,
 Martin