OH NO! IT says my root partition / is full but it isn't! Why is FreeBSD lying about space?

rtsit rtsit at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 18:27:04 UTC 2011

Thanks Lowell.

I did reboot the machine a few times, hoping that any process in memory that still claimed ownership of an open part of the disk would release it.

Didn't work. I'm going to try the other method recommended by Michael Sierchio -- to reboot in single user mode and try and clear out any directory structures that could exist that my mount labels could be hiding.  Thanks for the reply and helpful link.

(It was nice to not see a RTFM response, but a helpful link -- it is appreciated).