trouble setting timezone for ukraine

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 08:06:59 UTC 2011

On 05/11/2011 07:48, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> i'm not sure i clearly understand what has to be done to make the ntp
> server on my system to be inaccessible to anyone but me.
>
> a sample /etc/ntp.conf would be appreciated.

You need the 'restrict' keyword to control access to ntpd -- add a block
something like this to the beginning of ntp.conf:

restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap   # everyone can go away...
restrict -6 default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1                               # except me ...
restrict -6 ::1
restrict 81.187.76.160 mask 255.255.255.248 nomodify notrap nopeer # or
the local net
restrict -6 2001:8b0:151:1:: mask ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:: nomodify notrap
nopeer

Except, obviously, replace the network addresses and netmasks in the
last two lines with appropriate settings for your environment.  See
ntp.conf(5).  Note these restrictions apply to outgoing as well as
incoming queries, so you can block your own access to NTP servers on the
net if not careful.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3