Burning CDs or DVDs with SATA drive?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 3 10:32:18 UTC 2011

What software, base or ports, is used to burn a CD or DVD on a SATA drive, /dev/cd0 ?

Would burncd be appropriate, or do I need cdrtools?  Or cdrkit?

This is on FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 amd64.

I built and installed sysutils/cdrtools when there was a thread on burncd and SATA, but cdrecord can't see anything (running "cdrecord -scanbus"):

cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Jörg Schilling

Running "cdrecord dev=help" or "cdrecord dev=HELP:" did no better.

I had a similar problem on the older computer (i386 with ATA, not SATA) in NetBSD, but cdrecord ran well in Linux.  CD-RW drive there is ATAPI.

Tom