Problem with dbus in boot

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Nov 3 03:32:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:29:15 -0300, Zantgo wrote:
> I have added my rc.conf dbus, but when the system boots, get the following message:
>
> Starting dbus.
> Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"
> /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start dbus

It seems that the installation of dbus wasn't successful.
It should've added thr required settings to the system's
user database.

Check those:

	% grep bus /etc/passwd /etc/group
	/etc/passwd:messagebus:*:556:556:D-BUS Daemon User:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
	/etc/group:messagebus:*:556:

This is from a system having installed dbus-1.4.6, but
_not_ running it (as I don't have any need for it).

Maybe you can repeat the installation of dbus (from
ports or packages) and make sure the data is added
to the files mentioned above, and the corresponding
databases have been rebuilt?

Obviously you are missing those required settings, so
/etc/rc cannot start dbus - to be expected.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany