DNS config help

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Nov 2 22:05:56 UTC 2011

It depends...

some VPNs push routes, including default routes, and nameservers and
search paths, but it's up to the client on how to handle it.  Some of
these will set /etc/resolv.conf, etc.

What *kind* of VPN are you talking about?  OpenVPN?  PPTP?  L2TP?

I generally prefer dnscache to BIND, and the mechanism for selective
resolution is straightforward.

Some large companies, HP included, just publish internal
(non-routable) addresses for hosts on their public servers, which
solves the remote access DNS problem.

- M