Out of Range ..., troubleshoot xorg

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun May 29 03:56:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, 28 May 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:

>> I managed to get X working, but the display is HUGE :(

Relatively low resolution on a large display makes for big pixels!

>> I have tried messing with the TV menu settings, but that is not
>> getting me anywhere.
>
> I have output /var/log/Xorg.0.log in
>
> http://pastebin.com/UcJmZzyn

Looks like X is choosing 1360x768 and working.  It's the TV that's being
snooty about showing the signal it receives.  You could try forcing it
to one of the lower modes in xorg.conf, like 1024x768.

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "TSB"
         ModelName    "205"
 	VertRefresh  59-72
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         SubSection "Display"
 		Modes "1024x768"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

The log shows that it gets this information from the monitor already,
and is already trying to use the right resolution.  Hard to say what the
TV is doing.  If it's touchy about refresh rate, that can be restricted
to just a single rate:

 	VertRefresh  60