Dell R210 "no disks found"

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Thu May 26 20:31:38 UTC 2011

On 05/26/11 15:16, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 from a CD onto a Dell
> R210 server.  When I boot and run fdisk from sysinstall (under
> "Custom"), it tells me "No disks found!" and then points me to the
> hardware guide.  Nothing in the hardware guide really seems to apply.
>
> Any one else get FreeBSD installed on an R210?  Is there a BIOS
> setting that I need to check or something?  I've spent about a week on
> this and will need to return both R210s soon if I can't get them
> working.

I'm assuming these have the PERC H200 cards in them.  If so, you will
need the mps(4) driver which is only available in FreeBSD 8-STABLE built
sometime after the 8.2 release.  You can find ISO snapshots of 8-STABLE
builds here http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/.  Search the list
archives for "PERC H200" for more information.

Steve Polyack