Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun May 22 18:19:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, 22 May 2011 19:10:33 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> articulated:

> Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native Skype
> client for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time when M$ will
> "integrate" Skype into its desktop and stop deliver binaries for
> Linux;

Honestly, where do you get this garbage from. This is just another
prime example of FUD rearing its ugly head.

Microsoft bought Skype with the stated purpose of going toe to toe
with Apple in the consumer market and leapfrog competitors by
incorporating the service into its business software.

Free Skype-style communications services aimed at consumers have
effectively been banned in some Middle East countries such as the UAE,
Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Some countries are reluctant to allow free
mobile phone voice calling over the internet because it could endanger
the huge long-term investment countries such as the UAE have made in
their telecommunications infrastructure.

However, analysts believe it is in the business rather than the
consumer space where the Skype acquisition may first start to pay off.
Allowing Microsoft to introduce Skype-style video conferencing into its
business offering could be the start of a more general acceptance of
free and low-cost internet voice and video conferencing.

Limiting or eliminating operating systems other than Microsoft's own
platforms would be counter productive and could lead to a decreased
monetary model. Obviously, that is something that Microsoft does not
intentionally do. It didn't pay $8.5 billion just to jettison users.

Personally, I am expecting the overall quality of the product to
improve. I would not expect them to craft a specific model just for
FreeBSD though. Then again, one doesn't exist now either. However, I
would fully expect them to maintain and improve on a model tailored
for Linux. It is in their best interest.

--
Jerry
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

                         ''~``
                        ( o o )
|                    .oooO                            |
|                    (   )   Oooo.                    |