Not able to install firefox 4 from 8.2 stable packages

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Sun May 22 05:35:36 UTC 2011

I'm a struggling nooby.  I am trying to install firefox 4 on a fresh
8.2 installation. I want to the core system to track the "errata"
branch, and get binary packages from 8-stable (which has firefox 4).

I installed FreeBSD 8.2 release.

# freebsd-update fetch install

rebooted

# portsnap fetch extract

use BASH shell

# export PACKAGESITE="ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/Latest/"

installed x11 and icewm

# pkg_add -r firefox

get perl conflict between 5.10 and 5.12

# pkg_add -fr firefox

firefox installs but I get "firefox3" instead of firefox 4.0

# pkg_info| grep firefox

shows "firefox-3.6.13,1"

trying to use source

# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
# make install clean

get errors about firefox 4.0.1 needing nspr>=4.8.7

# pkg_add -r nspr

says nspr-4.8.6 or older is already installed