ipv6 spam

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Sat May 21 13:58:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com> wrote:

I have begun receiving ipv6 spam from this mailing list, and I was
> wondering how to determine who the owner of a particular ipv6 address
> is.

A whois may tell you who the block has been given too (ISP wise) ... that
may start you in the right direction....

For example:

I have a valid IPv6 address from my hosting provider (they gets used for IRC
on occasion ..)

NetRange:       2610:1E8:: - 2610:1E8:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF
CIDR:           2610:1E8::/32
OriginAS:       AS14595
NetName:        NET-THINKTEL6-1
NetHandle:      NET6-2610-1E8-1
Parent:         NET6-2610-1
NetType:        Direct Allocation
RegDate:        2007-05-04
Updated:        2007-05-04
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET6-2610-1E8-1

As you can see, a whois of that ip reveals the block provided to my hosts
provider, from there you could start asking questions. Spam sent to the
list, I tend to ignore, spam sent to me, I investigate and make go away. I'v
also run a tracert(6) to find a general geographic region of the spam, if
it's origin was reasonably local then I fire e-mails off to those locations
as best I can.

An interesting story here ... I actually knew one of my spammers,
personally, a pseudofriend who always tried to show off to me, he had money
and was always buying gadgets that he had no use for or how to use. When I
figured it out I almost laughed meself stupid. I then took all my proof to
his Mom and it all stopped, all his gadgets mysteriously disappeared from
his house and he stopped calling ... coincidentally, all of that
mysteriously disappeared junk, magically appeared in my bedroom :D

Anywho there are ways, just takes patience and persistence...