A possibly odd upgrade question

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 20 14:40:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 12:09:43 +0200, Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen at ose.nl> wrote:
> It can fit, however don't build the kernel with debug symbols and move or
> remove the current debug symbol files of your kernel.
>
> See below, our development box. It has GENERIC with debug symbol files, a
> kernel.old and a kernel without debug symbols on /boot which is on the /
> partition
>
> FreeBSD dev.ose.nl 7.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 18 23:05:18
> CET 2011     Freebee at dev.ose.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DEV  amd64
> dev:/home/Freebee #df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a    496M    295M    162M    65%    /

Similar here, 7-STABLE (home desktop), system still contains
default kernel and a backup, but without debugging info.

% df -h /
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    496M    336M    120M    74%    /

% du -hs /boot/kernel*
 30M    /boot/kernel
112M    /boot/kernel.GENERIC-7.0-RELEASE
 29M    /boot/kernel.RVS
 29M    /boot/kernel.old

However, I think increasing the default size to 1GB for /
would be a nice addition for the next release (at least
for 9.0), or default sizes could be percentages of the
available slice or disk space.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany