FreeBSD compatible mini-itx board

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 19 18:49:23 UTC 2011

Hi--

[ Perry gave a good answer to the last question; I'll try to hit some of the earlier ones.  :-) ]

On May 19, 2011, at 12:23 AM, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Erik N?rgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
>> Mobile Intel 945GSE Express Chipset
>> Intel 82945GSE Express Chipset Graphics/Memory Controller Hub
>> Intel 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7-M)
>> Intel GMA950
>> RealTek 8111DL Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>>
>> Does FBSD support this?

FreeBSD ought to support the 945G chipset and the ICH7 hub; also the RealTek NIC, but the latter isn't the highest quality NIC around.

>> Also: The Intel manual mentions: "Support for DDR2 533 MHz SO-DIMMs (DDR2 800 MHz and DDR2 667 MHz validated to run at 533 MHz only)"
>>
>> Will faster RAM result in a less stable system?

It indicates that they put faster RAM into the box, but ran it at a speed of 533MHz, which is slower than the memory is capable of running.  In some cases, doing this lets you run the RAM at lower voltage or with tighter timing settings of CL/tRCD/tTP/etc.

>> ... what is Serial Presence Detect RAM?
>
> SPD refers to an I2C device mounted on (most) DIMMS, which provides
> the BIOS with the DIMM's size and speed properties.

Yes.  In particular, newer memory uses the SPD to provide multiple timing profiles, which can be used for EPP and XMP for indicating that the RAM has higher performance timings available.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Presence_Detect

Regards,
--
-Chuck