Maximum partition size

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:17:05 UTC 2011

On 11 May 2011 03:37, Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:
> Hello.
> Sorry for the stupid questions, but Google only turns out very old answers
> which might be outdated (at least I hope so).
>
> What is the maximum partition size I can use on 7.3?
> I've used a 3TB gstripe on amd64, but now I'd like to gstripe two 2TB HDs on
> a i386.
> Will that work?

Probably, but a gstripe isn't a partition.

The gstripe specific numbers seem to be (via
/usr/src/sys/geom/stripe/g_stripe.h):

        uint16_t        md_no;          /* Disk number. */
        uint16_t        md_all;         /* Number of all disks. */
        uint32_t        md_stripesize;  /* Stripe size. */
        char            md_provider[16]; /* Hardcoded provider. */
        uint64_t        md_provsize;    /* Provider's size. */

So, I guess the maximum gstripe will be around 2^96, or
79228162514264337593543950336 bytes (or is that blocks?).

The largest filesystem you can put on that is limited to UFS2's
2^73 (according to the knobs at wikipedia), so you'll have to
start splitting up your gstripes in 41 binary orders of magnitude.

Good luck.