ZFS Deduplication (was Re: FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri May 13 21:20:35 UTC 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Mike Seda wrote:
> Currently, I'm really only interested in using FreeBSD so that I can leverage ZFS Deduplication (available in ZFS v21 and higher) on one server.
>
> What is the best (most stable) way to get this functionality at the moment?

By definition, HEAD isn't stable (or -STABLE).
How about running Solaris instead...?

> Should I just install FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE and then apply the backported ZFS v28 patch such as the one below:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_20100831.patch.bz2

That might be a more reasonable course, but you haven't mentioned anything about the purpose or scope of the system involved; the lack of any such information makes specific recommendations infeasible.

Regards,
--
-Chuck