(8.2) amd64 + linuxulator + nvidia driver is it stable ?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:30:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:

>  On Tuesday 10 May 2011 15:21:07 Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Ivan Klymenko <fidaj at ukr.net> wrote:
>
> > > В Tue, 10 May 2011 17:31:53 +0200

> > > I have encountered in the system exactly the same problem
>

> > > uname -a
>
> > > FreeBSD nonamehost 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r221598:
>
> > > Sat May 7 17:28:18 EEST 2011
>
> > > ivan at nonamehost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/mk9 amd64
>

> > > pciconf -lv|grep Ge
>

> > > device = 'Geforce 8400M GS (unknown)'
>

> > > pkg_info|grep nvidi
>
> > > nvidia-driver-270.41.06 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
>
> > > hardware OpenGL ren
>

> > > dmesg|grep NVRM
>
> > > NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 13, 000a 00000000 00008297 000019d0
>
> > > 0000003c 00000100
>

> > > they were observed for nearly all nvidia drivers for amd64...
>
> > > I tried to change the different options:
>
> > > setenv VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 -> ~/.cshrc
>
> > > Option "Xinerama" "False" and Option "Xinerama" "0"
>
> > > -> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> > > cat /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
>
> > > OverrideGPUValidation=false
>
> > > AutoUpdateDisable=true
>
> > > EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=0
>
> > > FullScreenDisable=false
>

> > > and it seems to me it helped for flashplayer...
>

> > > but the situation as a whole wants the best, because these problems
>
> > > continue with using VDPAU
>

> > > so I'm leaning that cause these problems in drivers...
>

> > > sorry for my english...

> > I have had the same problem as well in the past when I tried killing
>
> > npviewer.bin . Also using an NVidia card on amd64...
>

> > Thanks

> Are you guys using nspluginwrapper-devel?
>

> Since I started using it I have no more freezes in firefox and no more
> dangling npviewer.bin processes. YouTube plays fine for as many videos as I
> want.
>

> By the way, I never experienced system freezes even when I was using a
> non-devel wrapper. Only firefox froze with watching flash videos. All I had
> to do was to kill it and kill the npviewer.bins.
>

> My system:
>

> FreeBSD Papi 8.2-STABLE Tue May 3 13:17:39 BRT 2011 amd64
>
> NVIDIA Driver Version: 270.41.06
>
> device = 'NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (G92)'
>

> --
>
> Mario Lobo
>
> http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br
>
> FreeBSD since 2.2.8 [not Pro-Audio.... YET!!] (99% winblows FREE)

I am using the non-devel version of nspluginwrapper. On my system, flash
causes firefox to hang for maybe 10-20 seconds sometimes, but this resolves
by itself... I think the problem that was originally identified and that I
am also experiencing is not necessarily the same as what you are describing,
although it is nice to know that the hanging problems might be gone with
nspluginwrapper-devel. Usually when I kill npviewer.bin though, it is to
prevent it from generating CPU load...

Thanks