kernel and buildworld questions

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at gmail.com
Tue May 10 19:09:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Mage <mage at mage.hu> wrote:

> On 05/10/2011 08:35 PM, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> >

> > By the way you don't really need to use the cvsup package anymore, as
> > there is now the csup command that is part of FreeBSD. Regarding the
> > core dumps, maybe you should tried running portsclean -PLD to remove
> > old packages, libraries and distfiles from your system.If you can
> > reproduce easily the core dumps, maybe you can find which libraries
> > causes the processes to crash using gdb
> >
> Thank you for helping.
>
> I tried:
>
> [root at eden ~]# cvsup sup_standard
> Connected to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
> Updating collection src-all/cvs
>  Edit src/bin/sh/expand.c
> Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
>
> [root at eden ~]#  portsclean -PLD
> Detecting unreferenced distfiles...
> no unreferenced distfiles found.
> Cleaning out /usr/ports/packages...
> Delete /usr/ports/packages/All/ezm3-1.1_2.tbz
>
> [root at eden ~]# cvsup sup_standard
> Connected to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
> Updating collection src-all/cvs
>  Edit src/bin/sh/expand.c
> Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
>

> All my packages must be binary now as this system didn't exist in April:
>
> [mage at eden ~]$ cd /usr/ports/packages/All/
> [mage at eden /usr/ports/packages/All]$ ls -l | grep Apr | wc
>     351    3159   24777
> [mage at eden /usr/ports/packages/All]$ ls -l | grep May | wc
>       0       0       0
>
> Any of them would have date from May if built from ports.
>
> Where can I see the core dump? In dmesg I see only this:
>
> pid 12239 (cvsup), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
>
> (Or 'miniruby' when I try to build ruby 1.9.2)
>
>        Mage

Since it core dumps with "Illegal instruction", it looks like there cvsup is
still using some of the ports you compiled with the wrong flags. I would try
the following:

1) Rename your file /etc/make.conf such that the system stops using it (just
in case there is still something wrong with it
2) run pkg_deinstall -Rf cvsup (or cvsup-without-gui, depending on what you
installed exactly)
3) cd /usr/ports/cvsup (or cvsup-without-gui)
4) make clean install
5) Try cvsup again