kernel and buildworld questions

Mage mage at mage.hu
Tue May 10 18:23:48 UTC 2011

On 05/10/2011 08:10 PM, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you initially compiled your ports using the -p option of
> portupgrade, then using the -P option of portupgrade will install the
> ports using the package files that you have generated rather than
> fetching them from the server. If you want to fetch the binaries
> rather than recompile it on your system, make sure to delete any
> package from /usr/ports/packages/All before using portupgrade -afkP

That folder was empty for sure. When I have been running portupgrade
-afkP I also ran ran 'ls -l | wc' in that folder to see how many
packages I fetched. To check the progress.

I had about 344 packages, all installed from ports and I ended up having
360 packages after the portupgrade command. All were downloaded except
one or two (maybe xterm) which was installed from ports as the remote
package was not the latest version.

I also ran portsclean -C before switching to binary packages. I still
have some history on console:

[root at eden /usr/ports/packages/All]# ls -l
total 156160
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    169882 Apr 27 22:18 aalib-1.4.r5_5.tbz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    630601 Apr 27 22:11 autoconf-2.68.tbz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      3641 Apr 27 21:30
autoconf-wrapper-20101119.tbz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      3509 Apr 27 21:30
automake-wrapper-20101119.tbz

They are dated Apr 27. I installed this system 3-4 days ago.

Also 'rvm install 1.9.2' drops signal 4. I think it only uses make and
gcc. However, make buildworld and buildkernel finishes successfully.

I wouldn't like to give up.

        Mage