Home firewall with DLink router & FreeBSD

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 11:00:53 UTC 2011

________________________________

From: Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com>
To: questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Thu, May 5, 2011 3:44:36 PM
Subject: Home firewall with DLink router & FreeBSD

The short answer is a definite yes, but you will need two NIC's in the FreeBSD
server. I have a FreeBSD server which runs diskless and it acts as my router
right behind the cable modem. All networks in my home including the wireless one
uses this machine as it's route to the Internet. It runs IPFW2 as the firewall.
It also does some port forwarding from my Asterisk PBX and webserver which are
running on other FreeBSD servers inside my LAN.

There is excellent information in the FreeBSD handbook on how to setup a FreeBSD
server as a gateway/router. Check it out.

Hi, at home I have a DLink Dir 300 router to provide internet access for my home
network. The network is composed by two Windows PCs, one Linux laptop and one
FreeBSD server we use mainly for storage and as web/database server.

I must add, the server only have one network card.

I would like to know if its possible to use the FreeBSD server as a Firewall for
the whole network, securing LAN and WiFi connections. If this can be done, then
how? could you point me to some howto?.

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com