Does running ``# portupgrade -arRp '' prompt for options or updates everything without prompts?

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Fri May 6 00:03:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > already been built using the port's default options).
> > However, as soon as a package is not available, portupgrade
> > will install the port from source (so make sure your
> > ports tree is up to date), and it MAY happen that there
> > is a "make config" interaction.
> >
> > The portupgrade program has a --batch parameter that
> > reflects the BATCH=yes option for make calls (as if you
> > would use "make install").
> >
> > The "decision tree" is as follows:
> >
> > Port can be configured?
> >        Yes.
> >                Port has already been configured?
> >                        Yes.
> >                                Build it with that options.
> >                        No.
> >                                Ask for options.
> >                                Then build it with that options.
> >        No.
> >                Build port.
> >
> > This applies if there is no package (which you require
> > with the -P parameter to portupgrade).
> >
> > Make sure you've understood the upgrading procedures for
> > the system and the installed applications correctly.
> > There _may_ be better tools than portupgrade for dealing
> > with the second part (e. g. portmaster, portmanager).
> > The command line parameters you've collected make portupgrade
> > perform a "pkg_add-like upgrade" the binary way.
> >
> > Also note the correct order of the upgrade steps:
> > 1. Upgrade system (with freebsd-update)
> > 2. Upgrade ports tree (with portsnap)
> > 3. Upgrade installed software (with portupgrade)
> >
> This is exactly more or less what I have done. while doing 1, I
> encountered several broken ports.  But I just skipped those.  Ran 2
> like the commands I posted.
> >
> > As I've mentioned, there are other tools that could take
> > the place of the "with *" suggested above, but I think
> > this is the way you intend to go.
> >
> > Just as an example, "make config-recursive" allows you to
> > do all the config screens in one run, one after each other,
> > and as soon as the settings got saved, they will be used
> > without any further questions. See "man ports" for details
> > about the several build targets; also see "man portupgrade"
> > of other options you might need to create a non-interactive
> > way of upgrading your installed ports.
>
> I should have asked before :(, tried to do it on my own.  I have spent
> two to three days answering questions back and forth and it seemed
> that I would not finish :(  I was not sure to proceed or not, because
> previously I got burned with many errors that lib????.so , ... and I
> saw the system working and left it at that.  But now I know that to
> keep a system in good working condition it needs to be updated with
> security updates :)
> >
> > --
> > Polytropon
> > Magdeburg, Germany
> > Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> > Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
> >

> Thanks for helping out.  I have not encountered any prompts(*crossing
> my fingers*) will let you know how this turns out.

something to keep in mind .... portmaster does the same thing and all of
portupgrades switches work with portmaster, the only significant difference
is that portmaster will run through and prompt you for all of the 'make
config' options first and then go about it's business unattended from that
point on... it will test for a valid set of config options in all of it's
deps before it builds anything, so for something large like gnome, you might
sit there for a while answering config screens, but once it's done, it will
require no more interaction unless a make dies for some reason...