Ethernet connection and monitor resolution in DesktopBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Mar 31 18:18:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:14:04 -0500, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> I'm trying out DesktopBSD in VirtualBox.  I like it better
> than PC-BSD and GhostBSD.
>
> However, the Internet connection isn't working out-of-the-box.
> When I go to the network configuration utility, select the
> auto DHCP, and click on Connect, nothing happens.  I have an
> Internet connection in my host OS, so no external factors
> are stopping my Internet connection in DesktopBSD (guest OS).

You can - for diagnostics - try to launch DHCP from
command line. To do so, use

	# /etc/rc.d/dhclient restart

or "start", if it's not started yet. You can also use
the more "bare bones" method of the dhclient program.
See "man dhclient" for details.

> Also, my screen resolution is stuck at 800x600.  How do I
> change it to 1024x768?

I'm not sure if DesktopBSD uses an xorg.conf configuration
file or if the setting is done using a GUI tool (maybe a
tool provided by KDE). Basically the handbook sections about
how to configure X should apply. See Section 5.4 of the
handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

--
Polytropon