why does this simple counter fail?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Mar 25 23:53:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 05:53:11PM +0100, Fr?d?ric Perrin wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:36:34AM -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
> >> Look for short tags. Turn that on.
> >>
> >> <?php is long form... most scripts are using short tags.
> >
> > I didn't know that I had the option of using short flags or not. Where
> > do I set that? (I'm sure there are more places where i have "<?" anf
> > "?>" rather than "<?php" and "?>"; be nice to _not_ have this cause me
> > grief again....)
>
> In /usr/local/etc/php.ini, look for short_open_tag under the « Language
> Options » heading.
>
> --
> Frédéric Perrin -- http://tar-jx.bz

	Found it; thanks.   It's been god-knows how many yrs ago that i
	used the short tags option .... it may have been the Last time
	my counter broke.  Lost in the myst of times.  Anyway, i've
	decided to leave the short form off as is advised in the ini
	file.

	I'M trying to decide whether to tatoo this on my forehead or
	just make a note in my ~/.notes file for the next time this
	breaks.  if/when.  Meanwhile, the best thingt to do would simply
	write a script to turn <? into <?php ....   Never know when I'll
	get into things like <?xml or whatever.

	-g

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org