Sound with FN Button

Alokat mailing at alokat.org
Thu Mar 24 21:52:23 UTC 2011

On 03/24/11 21:52, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:28:05 +0100, Alokat<mailing at alokat.org>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I use the FN Buttons to regular the sound?
>> I'm using fluxbox.
> Use the "xev" program to check which keysymbols (or at
> least codes) are output by those keys. For example, on
> my Sun keyboard I have those for audio:
>
> 	141
> 	142
> 	143
>
> Then write a file ~/.xmodmaprc to assign names to those
> keys, for example:
>
> 	! Sound off
> 	keycode 141 = F24
> 	! Lower volume
> 	keycode 142 = F25
> 	! Raise volume
> 	keycode 143 = F26
>
> You can also use
>
> 	SunAudioMute
> 	SunAudioLowerVolume
> 	SunAudioRaiseVolume
>
> or
>
> 	XF86AudioMute
> 	XF86AudioLowerVolume
> 	XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>
> I decided to continue the enumeration as function keys for
> all the extra keys on my keyboard. :-)
>
> Incorporate the settings upon X startup, using ~/.xinitrc
> or maybe ~/.xsession:
>
> 	xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
>
> Then use the keyboard action configuration of Fluxbox. As I
> don't use it anymore, I can't tell you where it is, but there
> should be a configuration file which selects which action to
> be taken when a specific key is pressed.
>
> I'm using WindowMaker's configuration utility for that. I did
> add menu entries and set a custom key for them. For example,
> I made the following settings:
>
> 	F24 ->  mixer 0
> 	F25 ->  mixer vol -5
> 	F26 ->  mixer vol +5
>
> You should be able to find a similar approach in FLuxbox.
>
> I'm sure you got the idea: You identify what the keys DO and
> then connect them to a keyname. This keyname is then connected
> to a specific program call, "mixer" with the intended parameters
> in case of volume control.

I get an output like this:

FocusOut event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
     mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
     mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
     keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
            0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

FocusOut event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
     mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
     mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
     keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
            0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0