Character shortcuts

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:02:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 02:07:59PM -0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Dear FreeBSD experts,
>>
>> There has been something that I find hard to do, I would like to find
>> a CTRL + KEY combination, or ALT + KEY combination to input special
>> characters like (ñ)  [ALT + 164 or ALT + 0241 in Mr. Gates OS].
>>
>> http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp
>>
>> accents other symbols like copyright, euro, etc.  I would like to do
>> the same(have a special key combination) to get the characters in
>> FreeBSD too, but googling have not found something that works.  I even
>> tried to run a litte program in the shell to generate the characters
>> to use for cutting + pasting to no avial.
>
> I wrote this about setting up a Compose key a while back:
>
>    entering special characters in Xorg
>    http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=814
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

Chad & all,

using the command

$ setxkbmap -option compose:ralt

works very well :)  Thank you all for the help provided.

using the ALT key + SHIFT (TILDE ~) + n gives : ñ ,
accents and other special characters are easy to do now thanks to the

much easier to follow than Mr. Gates OS :)

Regards,

Antonio