glabel causes "GEOM: ada1: media size does not match label" messages

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Mar 21 11:05:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 06:40:51 -0400, Maxim Khitrov <max at mxcrypt.com> wrote:
> I've been using 'dangerously dedicated' partitioning for years without
> any issues. What problems have been reported by others?

I think those "problems" originate from some operating systems
not able to work with disks that do not come with a DOS-style
partition table. This may be restricted to DOS-related operating
systems (which I personally do not have to care about). For my
needs, there has never been a problem booting from such a
layout or accessing it. If you just have one slice (a.k.a.
"DOS primary partition") and no other operating systems on
the disk, there is _no_ particular requirement to create a
slice, as far as I could experience. However, it may be
needed in multi-boot constellations.

The word "dangerous" (deserving the quotes) is, in my opinion,
used to emphasize that there is the "danger" that *OTHER*
operating systems can't deal with it. Those systems are
traditionally located in MICROS~1 land. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany