devd started with single-user mode?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 20 11:13:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:55:35 +0100, David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just realized that I can't use my USB keyboard if I start FreeBSD in
> single user mode. The keyboard is still detected but I can't use it.
>
> It works with the loader of course. I don't know if it's related to devd
> and if it's running.
>
> I also have USB legacy enabled in the BIOS settings.

Do you have kbdmux in your kernel? If you don't have it,
switching to "the other" keyboard is needed to be issued
from the AT keyboard (if present), using the kbdcontrol
program.

Kernel configuration should contain:

options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		kbdmux			# keyboard multiplexer
device		atkbdc			# AT keyboard controller
device		atkbd			# AT keyboard
options		ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions	ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=german.iso
# USB support stuff here...
device		ukbd			# Keyboard
options		UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions	UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=german.iso

If I remember correctly, most of the important lines are
part of the GENERIC kernel configuration.

On my system, I can't use the USB keyboard in CMOS setup
or at the loader, but it works as soon as the kernel has
finished loading, so when the boot process has enabled
the single user mode, the USB keyboard is usable. For
loader-related things, I still have to keep a PS/2 AT
keyboard handy.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany