Hung install (7.4 stable)

Friedman friedman at emax.ca
Fri Mar 18 17:36:23 UTC 2011

I am trying to install 7.4 on an older machine,
MSI K7N2 mobo, AMD athlon

This board supports 2 SATA Drives and 4 EIDE devices, one of which
is the DVDR.  It will only boot from a CD and so I am trying to install
from 7.4 Disc 1.  The EIDE controller supports RAID on its disks.

The situation so far is that after disabling the FDD in BIOS, I am only
able to boot the install in "Safe-mode".

The boot program recognizes the DVDR as acd0: ata0-slave UDMA33
I was able to creat file systems on the new SATA drive and
proceed with the install but then an error message stating that
install media cannot be mounted aborts the install.

When the boot is run in normal mode it stalls after recognizing the
sata drives,  install drive is ad4: 750gb ata2-master SATA150
The last message is:  ad6:  PROMISE subdisks has no flags.

I do not see any discussion of safe-mode in the handbook and would like to
know exactly what this means.

BTW the machine is currently running Ubuntu and has no problem with
booting up from the Ubuntu install CD.

Any help greatly appreciated.
--
Barry Friedman
Emax Computer Systems Inc., 480 Tweedsmuir Ave., Ottawa, Ont. Canada K1Z 5N9