HAL must die!

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Mar 17 17:36:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Da Rock
<freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>> The problem is it'd have to be someone who's unemployed. ;)  Any
>> software company is going to want to patent something that valuable;
>> they'd be failing their shareholders if they didn't.
>>

> Except a private company.

Yeah, but  most private software companies are trying to get bought
out by one of the big guys, in which case a good patent portfolio is
helpful.  I remember hearing about one company in the 90s that
actually had "be acquired by Microsoft" as part of their long-term
business plan.