Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Mar 16 22:28:59 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:

Matthew> Gee.  Thanks.

Well, either you're not describing your actual experience, or I've
misunderstood.  I'm open to input.  Are you trying to tell me that you
were able to go from 8.0 to 8.1, using freebsd-update, with a
ZFS-on-root boot?  Or were you just saying "well, it *should* work",
because it my experience it didn't.

Matthew> I suggest you try out your update in a VM then, because I doubt anyone
Matthew> will produce an answer definitive enough for you.

Sure they can.  I want someone who actually hacks the ZFS boot code to
help me out.  How do I reach them?  Is ZFS a first-class FS now in the
binary builds, or not?