postfix / windows live mail problems (possibly OT)

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 16 22:16:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:48:36 -0400
Mark Moellering <mark at msen.com> articulated:

> My apologies, I could not find the postfix mailing list initially.
> (it has been a "Deal with Microsoft software" day...)
> I have now found the proper list,
> Thank You

Before posting to the Postfix list, follow the directions on the
Postfix debug page: <http://www.postfix.com/DEBUG_README.html>. In
addition, lose the "Top Posting" technique. I can assure you it will
not be appreciated there.

Specifically:

Reporting problems to postfix-users at postfix.org

The people who participate on postfix-users at postfix.org are very
helpful, especially if YOU provide them with sufficient information.
Remember, these volunteers are willing to help, but their time is
limited.

When reporting a problem, be sure to include the following information.

A summary of the problem. Please do not just send some logging without
explanation of what YOU believe is wrong.

Complete error messages. Please use cut-and-paste, or use attachments,
instead of reciting information from memory.

Output from "postconf -n". Please do not send your main.cf file, or
500+ lines of postconf output.

Better, provide output from the postfinger tool. This can be found at
http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger.

If the problem is SASL related, consider including the output from the
saslfinger tool. This can be found at
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/saslfinger/.

I use Windows Live Mail via Postfix all the time. I know it works quite well. You
probably do not have SASL or some other simple thing configured
incorrectly. This is not a Windows Live Mail problem.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net