IDE -- mount partitions for better performance

freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx
Tue Mar 15 00:24:24 UTC 2011

freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

Guidance with the following:

We are limited to Support for ATA-100/66/33 IDE and ATAPI compliant
devices.  With that said, we have our atapi/33 optical on a add in
controller (PCI) and are seeking to place four HDD’s on the main boards
controllers.  Our dilemma is where to place /, /tmp, /usr and /var from a
performance standpoint.  We understand that /var  does quite a bit of
writing and probably should go on the master hdd, but what about the /usr,
/tmp and root?  Hell, I’m not sure my thinking is sane as to where I
‘think’ /var should be placed/mounted.

Thanks for the read of this.