Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

Andrew Moran amoran at forsythia.net
Mon Mar 14 00:11:21 UTC 2011

I have successfully upgraded form FreeBSD 8.1 to FreeBSD 8.2.  Here were my steps:

cvsup /root/stable-supfile
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
shutdown -r now

*select single user mode*

mount -u /
zfs mount -a
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad4
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad5

zpool upgrade -a
zfs upgrade -a

shutdown -r now

NOTE 1:  the gpart commands are specific to my setup - I'm using a ZFS mirror on ad4 and ad5.    Your system may be different.
NOTE 2:  my "zfs upgrade -a" ran out of swap space and died.  I ran "zfs upgrade" to see what filesystems were left un-upgraded and did those manually.

Thanks Scott Ballantyne and everyone else who responded.

Cheers!

--Andy