Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Mar 13 22:31:40 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Staal <DStaal at usa.net> writes:

Daniel> Nothing in the release notes appears to mention the bootloader and zfs
Daniel> together, so I'd take the safe approach and assume it is still
Daniel> necessary.

OK, so I'll appeal to the rest of freebsd-questions, since you can't
answer with authority:

    can you upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2 using freebsd-update booting from
    ZFS as described at http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/,
    without having to go through the chicanry described at
    http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=94557&postcount=19 - or is
    there an updated version of that post, or should that post be
    literally followed?

SOMEONE here knows.  Please help.

Otherwise, I have to build a VM system again with 8.1, just like I did
with 8.0, to figure out that 8.1 would NOT upgrade cleanly, and required
that extra step.

Please save me the trouble for 8.1 to 8.2.  I have four VPSs that need
to move from 8.1 to 8.2 remotely.