Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Mar 13 17:37:31 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> writes:

Adam> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
Adam> <merlyn at stonehenge.com>wrote:

>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=94557&postcount=19

Adam> Well those are his modified upgrade instructions, they seem
Adam> relatively sound but the extra steps aren't required.  The gpart
Adam> stuff is to update the boot loader which is only necessary if you
Adam> upgrade the file system or pool eg zfs/zpool upgrade.  You should
Adam> probably run this just to prevent potential severe pain later.

No, this was *absolutely* necessary for the 8.1 upgrade, because the
binary-installed boot loader was still ZFS ignorant.

I'm just asking if it's *still* necessary for 8.2.  Does the 8.2 boot
loader now know about ZFS if I install it from freebsd-update?

Keep in mind, I'm booting straight from ZFS.  There are no UFS
partitions on my disk.