terminal emulators with secure keyboard capability

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Mar 11 21:06:47 UTC 2011

For those who aren't aware, XTerm offers a pretty nifty security feature,
particular for cases of entering passwords.  If you hold down the Ctrl
key and the left left mouse button, a menu appears; the second item down
is "Secure Keyboard".  From the XTerm manpage:

    The Secure Keyboard mode is helpful when typing in passwords or other
    sensitive data in an unsecure environment; see SECURITY below (but
    read the limitations carefully).

I recommend anyone interested in this feature read the SECURITY section
of the xterm(1) manpage, of course.  I won't copy all the relevant text
here.  Let it suffice to say, in summary, that Secure Keyboard mode in
XTerm "attempts to ensure that all keyboard input is directed only to
xterm (using the GrabKeyboard protocol request)."

I have yet to notice any other terminal emulator with a similar keyboard
input protection mode.  Does anyone here know of any such terminal
emulators, aside from XTerm, that do something like this?