lost network during freebsd-update install

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Mar 10 14:13:43 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 03:03 PM, Tom Worster wrote:
> at this stage, i have no remote access. even if i could gain access, i
> wouldn't know what state it's in or how to proceed. it's probably best now
> to pay for the hosting company to install 8.1 from cd.
Well if this is an option. But before paying and with a bit of bad luck
getting the same problem in 8.1 it would be nice to know what's the cause.
You do not have remote console access and a way to mount a virtual cdrom?

It sounds more like kernel and userland are not in sync or something else.
This shouldn't be a problem caused by freeb-update though.

Maybe someone has a clue about this?
Is this on real hardware or hosted in a virtual machine setup?

I haven't have this happen with about 30 servers the last three years going
from 6 to 7 and to 8, the latter with freebsd-update, rebooting with GENERIC
and then building a custom kernel.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.