any friendly folk willing to teach an old foggie how to configure kde/ gnome on freebsd?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Mar 10 07:39:58 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 04:33 AM, Juan C. Valido wrote:
> I'm an old "foggie" also and a lifetime Windows guy and I did a lot of
> research and a lot of trial and error until I found Dan's blog. God
> Bless the Man! Without his blog I would not have this server up. And yes
> it's running gnome. https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/category/freebsd/
>
> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 09:42 +0800, Foo JH wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I know the steps are documented on the Handbook and all. I've tried to
>> read, follow, and re-read the steps, but I'm not still getting any
>> popular window manager up and running on my FreeBSD servers. Meanwhile
>> new hires are seduced by the comes-with-it windows manager via Ubuntu
>> Desktop (yes, they abstained from the server edition because they really
>> wanted the GUI).
Hi
Why would you want a window manager on your servers?
Do you all work directly on the consoles?
Do you have window managers/desktop environments on the workstations and
access your servers remotely?
It's not very hard, I would say it's easier, to configure your servers and
services from the commandline with ssh.
Or if you really want something graphical then webmin would be fine also.
This is what I tend to roll-out for other
(graphical oriented) administrators and with some custom commands configured
this works great for them.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.